Gun Plain Township has three cemeteries: Ives Cemetery, Woodside Cemetery and Hillside Cemetery. Please see our Cemetery Rules (below) for guidelines on using our cemeteries safely and properly. For a listing of tombstone inscriptions for these cemeteries, please go to www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mi/allegan/0301cem.htm Woodside Cemetery may be listed as Gun Plain Cemetery.
Cemetery Rules for Cemeteries of Gun Plain Township:
- PERMANENT GRAVE MARKERS MUST BE OF SOLID QUARRIED STONE OR CAST METAL APPROVED BY AND ERECTED ON A FOUNDATION BY THE SUPERVISING SEXTON.
- No Statues or
statues that are used as urns are allowed.
Flowers and bulbs of a perennial variety may be planted and maintained WITHIN 6 INCHES OF THE HEADSTONE ON THE GRAVESIDE ONLY. However, flowers may be placed in a permanent urn at each end of the headstone or grave marker but not in front of the headstone. NOTHING ELSE IS ALLOWED. ARTIFICIAL AND CUT FLOWERS MUST BE PLACED IN A PERMANENT URN (STONE OR OTHER EQUALLY DURABLE MATERIAL.) NO BULBS THAT SPREAD EXCESSIVELY, ROSE BUSHES (OR OTHER SHRUBS) OR TREES MAY BE PLANTED. SHEPHERD HOOKS SHALL ONLY BE ONE SIDED AND HOOK MUST HANG OVER STONE/GRAVE MARKER.
- No alcohol or containers carrying alcohol allowed in the cemeteries.
- No solar or any other kind of grave lighting is allowed.
- No hoses may be brought in to water.
- All graves are to be left level. No mounding up.
- DOGS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO RUN AT LARGE WITHIN CEMETERIES.
- Three weeks after burials, the lots will be cleaned. Items removed from the lots will be held for 30 DAYS at a designated area for any one who would like to retrieve these keepsakes.
- Spring Clean-up
will be during the weeks of APRIL 1ST THRU APRIL 21ST. All
non-permanent decorations will be removed during this time including
FLOWERS, STATUES, PLANT STANDS, ETC. THAT DO NOT ADHERE TO THE
RULES. PLEASE REMOVE ALL WANTED ITEMS PRIOR TO APRIL 1ST. DO NOT
REPLACE DECORATIONS UNTIL AFTER APRIL 21.
Memorial Day Decorations will be removed July 1.
- Closed from
dusk to dawn.
Woodside Cemetery, Gun Plain Township, Allegan Co, MI
Woodside Cemetery is one mile north and 2 tenths of a mile east of the city of Plainwell. It was originally the burial ground of the Plainfield Presbyterian Church (now the First Presbyterian Church of Plainwell, Mich.)